Programming at the Canton Free Library (CFL) plays a significant role in providing literary opportunities for St. Lawrence County children and their families. All events are free. Some require registration.
Children’s Programming at the Canton Free Library:
- 0-17 months: Baby Storytime is for our library babies and their caregivers. We’ll share books, bounce rhymes, songs, finger plays, and lots of smiles, and then close with social/play time. Tuesdays 10:30-11:30 am. No registration needed. Resumes September 19th.
- 18-35 months: Toddler Storytime is for children and caregivers. We’ll share books, rhymes, music, movement, and lots more early literacy fun! Mondays 10:30-11:00 am. No registration is needed during the school year. Resumes September 18th.
- 3-5 years: Preschool Storytime is for children and caregivers. Stories, songs, movement, crafts, friends, and lots of fun! Wednesdays 10:30-11:15 am. No registration is needed during the school year. Resumes September 20th.
- K-2nd grade: Each month at Books and Beyond, we’ll explore a theme with books, activities, games, and art. Meets each third Thursday afternoon from 3-4 pm. Registration for each month required by the Monday before. Resumes September 21st.
- 3rd-6th grade: Tween Time offers a mix of cool crafts, art exploration, games, STEAM, and book talks of popular and classic literature. Meets every fourth Thursday afternoon from 3-4 pm. Registration for each month required by the Monday before. Resumes September 28th.
- K-6th grade: Lego Club: a different challenge/theme will be given at the start of each meeting. Lego Club meets the last Monday of the month (unless that’s a holiday, whereupon the date will be announced) from 3:00-4:00pm. Registration is required by the Friday before, but it fills fast! Don’t wait! Resumes September 25th.
Questions? Email Ms. Val at email@example.com or call 315-386-3712 ext. 4
Take a StoryWalk ®! A new story, The Tiptoeing Tiger by Phillipa Leathers, is up in the permanent StoryWalk ® on the Remington Recreation Trail (“Partridge Loop”) on Sullivan Drive in Canton! Huge thanks to the Canton village DPW for the great job of installation, and to Corning and the Friends of the Canton Free Library for the monetary contributions. We’ve added a colored backer, and the displays look great! The books that make up the StoryWalk® will be changed out on a regular basis year-round along the stretch of the trail that is closest to the Park of the ImagineNation play area.
Take a walk or a roll and check it out!!!
The following programs are also happening:
- Teens: Anime Club for grades 8-12. Gather on Thursdays from 5-7pm to share your interest in anime with friends. No registration is necessary. Contact Zach Woodley-White for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Game Club: Join us on Thursdays from 2-4 for board games, card games, and video games. Contact Zach Woodley-White with questions.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten: Track the books listened to by children from birth to the beginning of kindergarten and move up for every hundred books read on the Celebration Board in the Children’s Room. You can get a folder from Ms. Val to track on paper forms, or do it on the app.
Special Youth Programs:
- Battle of the Books: This program for grades 4-6 involves children forming teams, reading a list of 16 books over 8 months and then competing against other local teams in an exciting quiz game about the books. This year, Canton’s team the Flaming Phoenixes took home the 2023 regional trophy at the North Country Battle on May 20th! You’ll see the trophy on display at Little River School and CFL until it’s time for next year’s battle.
- Summer Library Program (SLP): This is a month-long celebration of reading fun during July (and some of August) for ages birth-12 years. Specific age-group programs happen weekly, and we offer family programs with performers such as magicians, clowns, storytellers or musicians, as well as Books at the Beach and the annual Pet Show! Registration is needed for most programs and the SLP is advertised beginning in April of each year.
Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Canton Free Library and the St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau.
Questions? Need to register for a program?
Contact Youth Services Specialist
Valerie White (Ms. Val)
(315) 386-3712 ext. 4