Programming at the Canton Free Library (CFL) plays a significant role in providing literary opportunities for St. Lawrence County children and their families. All events are free, though some require registration.
The Summer Library Program: Thanks for having pre-registered children ages 18 months through 12 years for their age group sessions which will run for four weeks. There’s no registration for Baby Storytime for the next four Tuesdays at 10am!
Regularly scheduled children’s programs are on hold during the Summer Library Program.
Take a StoryWalk ®! Our July story is up in the permanent StoryWalk ® on the Remington Recreation Trail (“Partridge Loop”) on Sullivan Drive in Canton! Huge thanks to the Canton village DPW for the great job of installation, and to Corning and the Friends of the Canton Free Library for the monetary contributions. We’ve added a colored backer board and the displays look great! The books that make up the StoryWalk® will be changed out on a regular basis year-round along the stretch of the trail that is closest to the Park of the ImagineNation play area.
Take a walk or a roll and check it out!!!
The following programs will continue as scheduled:
- Teens: Anime Club for grades 8-12. Gather together on Thursdays from 5-7pm to share your interest in anime with friends. No registration is necessary. Contact Zach Woodley-White for more information. email@example.com
- Game Club: Join us on Thursdays from 2-4 for board games, card games, and video games. Contact Zach Woodley-White with questions.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten: Track the books listened to by children from birth to the beginning of kindergarten and move up for every hundred books read on the Celebration Board in the Children’s Room. You can get a folder from Ms. Val to track on paper forms, or do it on the app.
Special Youth Programs:
- Battle of the Books: This program for grades 4-6 involves children forming teams, reading a list of 16 books over 8 months and then competing against other local teams in an exciting quiz game about the books. This year, Canton’s team the Flaming Phoenixes took home the 2023 regional trophy at the North Country Battle on May 20th! You’ll see the trophy on display at Little River School and CFL until it’s time for next year’s battle.
- Summer Library Program (SLP): This is a month-long celebration of reading fun during July for ages birth-12 years. Specific age-group programs happen weekly, and we offer family programs with performers such as magicians, clowns, storytellers or musicians, as well as Books at the Beach and the annual Pet Show! Registration is needed for most programs and the SLP is advertised beginning in April of each year.
Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Canton Free Library and the St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau.
Questions? Need to register for a program?
Contact Youth Services Specialist
Valerie White (Ms. Val)
(315) 386-3712 ext. 4