by Beverly Ewart
September is Library Card Sign-Up Month. Sign up for YOUR library card so that you can have access to online classes, audio books, ebooks, and other services right from home! Right now is a good time to try out some of the options offered through the North Country Library System at www.ncls.org, or through our website. If you have questions, please feel free to call us.
If you HAVE a card, you can check out my new favorite book, Norman Didn’t Do It! By Ryan T. Higgins. Ryan T. Higgins has a whimsical, delightful sense of humor that adults and children can giggle over together. Here are some of his titles to enjoy:
- Norman Didn’t Do It!: (Yes, He Did.) Norman, (who is a porcupine) is besties with Mildred (a tree), but he begins to feel a little anxious when a new little tree starts to grow too close to Mildred. Will their budding friendship exclude Norman? Will they invite him to their tree-parties? How will Norman root-out this interloper?! The questions drive him nuts! Norman is stumped until a brilliant solution comes to him in the middle of the night! Me – pretending I am a publisher.
- The Bruce Swap. Bruce the bear’s family wishes he were less grumpy, but when his cousin Kevin arrives for a visit, he brings more fun than they ever wanted. Publisher.
- Thanks for Nothing!: A Little Bruce Book. It is autumn in Soggy Hollow and the mice have a lot to be thankful for, but Bruce the bear is not so thankful for all the thanking. Publisher.
- We Will Rock Our Classmates. As the only T. rex in her school, Penelope is often overlooked. When she loses her confidence after signing up for the school talent show, her father and some friends help her find her courage. Publisher.
- We Don’t Eat Our Classmates! When the class pet bites the finger of Penelope, a tyrannosaurus rex, she finally understands why she should not eat her classmates, no matter how tasty they are. Publisher.
- Hotel Bruce. A reluctant mother to four young geese, grumpy Bruce the bear loses his temper when he migrates home in the spring only to discover that mice have converted his den into a hotel. Publisher.
- Bruce’s Big Move. Our favorite curmudgeonly bear shares his home with not only his four geese, but three rowdy mice besides! Fed up with their shenanigans, Bruce sets off to find a rodent-free household. But as usual, nothing goes quite according to plan. Publisher.
- Mother Bruce. Bruce is a grumpy bear who likes no one and nothing but cooked eggs, but when some eggs he was planning to boil hatch and the goslings believe he is their mother, he must try to make the best of the situation. Publisher.
- Be Quiet! Rupert the mouse wants to star in an artistic, wordless picturebook, but his animal friends cause problems by talking too much.
- Wilfred. When Wilfred, a big, hairy, and lonesome giant, enters a town full of tiny bald people, he finds only one friend, but that proves to be enough when the other townspeople trick him out of his warm hair. Publisher.
Our new hours:
- 9am – 6pm Monday through Friday
- 10am – 3pm on Saturdays
Check out our book sale every Friday from 12pm – 2pm in the Paige Room. Many thanks to the Friends of Canton Free Library for organizing and staffing this!
PARDON OUR DUST: Starting September 20, 2021, our handicap-access ramp will be closed to the public for renovation. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we think you will appreciate the improvements!
MORLEY BRANCH is open! Come see us (don’t forget your mask). Our hours are: Tuesday 1pm-3pm; Wednesday 4pm-6pm; Thursday 10am-12pm. Masks are required. There is a computer available for your use, but it’s a good idea to call first to check on availability. Scheduled appointments are encouraged, but not required. Call for more details: 315-379-0066.
Rensselaer Falls Branch is open on Tuesdays from 11am – 5pm. Masks are required, and those who are under age 12 must be with an adult.
Call the library (315-344-4155) for additional information.
A great way to find out what’s happening at our Morley and Rensselaer Falls Branches is to check out their Facebook pages:
Rensselaer Falls: https://www.facebook.com/RensselaerFallsLibrary
For more CFL news, stay tuned on Facebook, Instagram, or our website. Find new additions to our collection on our website: cantonfreelibrary.org. To renew your current checkouts, login to ncls.org; you may also renew via email at email@example.com, or by calling (315) 386-3712 (choose option 1, “For curbside service” on the menu – we continue to offer curbside service for your convenience).
Have fun reading @ your library!